I built my GitHub page with Jekyll. I have built one about 2 years ago, so this is second time try. There is a trace that I struggled to make Jekyll work right at the time. It took about one and half hour to set it up this time. I think I hopefully had some progress from the last time. I leave steps how to set it up here.
- Ruby 2.3.0
- rbenv with ruby-build
- Bundler 1.11.2
- GitHub account. Used user account page (username.github.io).
- Created a repo named keitaito.github.io (it’s important to use the username).
- Clone it to local.
- Create Gemfile, and write it like this:
source "https://rubygems.org" gem "github-pages", group: :jekyll_plugins
- (I think I did)
bundle exec jekyll new .. It overwrote my Gemfile, so I fixed it. I forgot to remove ruby version and gem minima. These might not be needed.
source "https://rubygems.org" ruby RUBY_VERSION gem "minima" gem "github-pages", group: :jekyll_plugins
- I (accidentally) have set my bundler up to install gems to vendor/bundle by default (global setting). So, all gems are put there. This led the following error when I did
bundle exec jekyll serve:
Invalid date '<%= Time.now.strftime('%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S %z') %>': Document 'vendor/cache/gems/jekyll-3.2.1/lib/site\_template/\_posts/0000-00-00-welcome-to-jekyll.markdown.erb' does not have a valid date in the YAML front matter.
- To fix the issue, I checked this one. I updated _config.yml file by adding a line
- try again
bundle exec jekyll serve, and it worked this time. A github page is built on localhost.
- I updated the .gitignore file. Since I put gems in vendor/bundle direcotry, I added it to the file. It’s like this:
_site/ .sass-cache/ .jekyll-metadata .DS_Store vendor/ .bundle
- I have already committed vendor/bundle directory, so I fixed it with these commands. I can’t remember them for some reason, so I always need to google it:
git rm -r --cached . git add . git commit -m "fixed untracked files"
- _config.yml is still default, so I updated it with my data.
- Commit all changes. and
git push origin master. Voila! Not viola :)
I have no idea how to make code syntax highlighting and line breaks work right. It looks like default markdown and kramdown are a little different. Please let me know if you know how to do it. Also, is it possible to add comments in a post page, like DisQus?